Hello, England!
Well, we’re in England now! I guess I ought to change our blog’s name, but, dollars to donuts, it will still say “Herrings in Aberdeen” two years from now. I’m doing well to update our postings every now and then!
We’ve been here just over two weeks now. We’ve had enough time to settle into our new accommodations. Now, it’s time to uproot again! On Saturday, we’re moving to an apartment we’ve rented where we can stay more permanently. In anticipation of the move, I have been combing classified ads trying to find nice used furniture. (We had hoped to find a furnished place, but, alas, we didn’t!) The upside is that I’ve become familiar with our surroundings as I pour over maps to find the various locations where we’ll retrieve items and then drive to the locations to ensure that I really want to buy those items! (It’s hit and miss!) I’m almost done finding everything; tonight I will view a bunk bed and if it suites me, then I will have found the last big item on my list!
I apologize for the lack of pictures. My camera was working the last time I used it in Aberdeen, but when we arrived here, it no longer worked. I would love to include pictures of the little cottage where we’re staying now amongst other things. The address here is Manor Farm Apt. 4, and we are literally on the manor’s farm. Just beside our house, three horses graze in the field. The kids and I have conditioned them to associate us with apples. Oh, how they love to see us!
The best thing I have discovered in our new surroundings are the miles and miles of footpaths which are public right-of-ways that cut paths through farmlands and alongside canals and in and out of neighborhoods. The other day, I found an agreeable walk to the village where we will be living. It took me through a flock of sheep, over a bridge spanning a train track, along a canal where I watched a canal boat being lowered in one of the lochs and then back home along the margins of a barley field and through a pleasant neighborhood. Nice!
Since we’ve been here, we’ve taken a walking tour of Oxford. It was enlightening! You may know already that Oxford is comprised of 39 colleges. (I didn’t.) Each college functions independently of the others. Undergraduate students can choose to apply to 3 of the 30 colleges that accept undergrads . When they are accepted, they become students of Oxford University, and, more specifically, students of their own college. Within the college, each student has a tutor. He does not sign up for courses, but rather is tutored individually. Faculty members give lectures and the students attend them at their tutor’s advice.
Two days after we moved here, I found the kids a place in school. I am quite happy with the school they are in, and they seem to be too. Sierra had butterflies in her tummy each morning for the first week or two, but she seems to be settling into the routine. Austen got home shattered every afternoon for the first little bit. His emotions were fragile and we had a leaky little boy. Lots of waterworks! But, he too seems to be settling in nicely.
I sent you our new address in an email. Don’t wait with bated breath for our new phone number. Customer service in the UK isn’t what it is in the good old US of A. Here is an account of one customer’s experience that you can read. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=653165
Just follow the link. The story is quite funny - when you are not living it. Unfortunately, this poor chap’s experience is all too typical, even for customers of his beloved BT. We signed up for a phone line with BT when we moved to Aberdeen and it took about a month for our service to be connected! So now, it’s like we are entering a tunnel and don’t know how long it will take us to emerge on the other side. All the while we will have no land line nor internet service. How dark and scary!
Well, I am probably losing your attention. Without the pictures blogging just is not as fun, I know. Oh, I did forget to mention Steve: Steve continues to work away getting ready for his classes that start Oct. 13. So there you have it!
Always glad to hear from you too, so write when you have a chance! I may not be able to write back immediately, but I will write when I can!
Love, Lara
We’ve been here just over two weeks now. We’ve had enough time to settle into our new accommodations. Now, it’s time to uproot again! On Saturday, we’re moving to an apartment we’ve rented where we can stay more permanently. In anticipation of the move, I have been combing classified ads trying to find nice used furniture. (We had hoped to find a furnished place, but, alas, we didn’t!) The upside is that I’ve become familiar with our surroundings as I pour over maps to find the various locations where we’ll retrieve items and then drive to the locations to ensure that I really want to buy those items! (It’s hit and miss!) I’m almost done finding everything; tonight I will view a bunk bed and if it suites me, then I will have found the last big item on my list!
I apologize for the lack of pictures. My camera was working the last time I used it in Aberdeen, but when we arrived here, it no longer worked. I would love to include pictures of the little cottage where we’re staying now amongst other things. The address here is Manor Farm Apt. 4, and we are literally on the manor’s farm. Just beside our house, three horses graze in the field. The kids and I have conditioned them to associate us with apples. Oh, how they love to see us!
The best thing I have discovered in our new surroundings are the miles and miles of footpaths which are public right-of-ways that cut paths through farmlands and alongside canals and in and out of neighborhoods. The other day, I found an agreeable walk to the village where we will be living. It took me through a flock of sheep, over a bridge spanning a train track, along a canal where I watched a canal boat being lowered in one of the lochs and then back home along the margins of a barley field and through a pleasant neighborhood. Nice!
Since we’ve been here, we’ve taken a walking tour of Oxford. It was enlightening! You may know already that Oxford is comprised of 39 colleges. (I didn’t.) Each college functions independently of the others. Undergraduate students can choose to apply to 3 of the 30 colleges that accept undergrads . When they are accepted, they become students of Oxford University, and, more specifically, students of their own college. Within the college, each student has a tutor. He does not sign up for courses, but rather is tutored individually. Faculty members give lectures and the students attend them at their tutor’s advice.
Two days after we moved here, I found the kids a place in school. I am quite happy with the school they are in, and they seem to be too. Sierra had butterflies in her tummy each morning for the first week or two, but she seems to be settling into the routine. Austen got home shattered every afternoon for the first little bit. His emotions were fragile and we had a leaky little boy. Lots of waterworks! But, he too seems to be settling in nicely.
I sent you our new address in an email. Don’t wait with bated breath for our new phone number. Customer service in the UK isn’t what it is in the good old US of A. Here is an account of one customer’s experience that you can read. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=653165
Just follow the link. The story is quite funny - when you are not living it. Unfortunately, this poor chap’s experience is all too typical, even for customers of his beloved BT. We signed up for a phone line with BT when we moved to Aberdeen and it took about a month for our service to be connected! So now, it’s like we are entering a tunnel and don’t know how long it will take us to emerge on the other side. All the while we will have no land line nor internet service. How dark and scary!
Well, I am probably losing your attention. Without the pictures blogging just is not as fun, I know. Oh, I did forget to mention Steve: Steve continues to work away getting ready for his classes that start Oct. 13. So there you have it!
Always glad to hear from you too, so write when you have a chance! I may not be able to write back immediately, but I will write when I can!
Love, Lara

3 Comments:
thanks for the update! jealous and excited for you to be in Oxford. my brother and sister in law lived there, and I have been several times. A beautiful city, great bookshops, English breakfasts, and lawn activity!
It sounds magnificent there! I love your updates. I hope you are doing well!
Wow, I had no idea you were moving! That's exciting that Steve's getting to teach too. I'm so glad that the kids are doing well, that's a big answer to prayer, I'm sure.
Post a Comment
<< Home